Huge programme of events for Diwali festival in Leicester
Published on Friday, September 16, 2016
LEICESTER’S world-famous Diwali celebrations will be bringing a spectacular two-week fanfare of light, colour and festivities to venues across the city next month.
Celebrations run from Friday, October 14, to Sunday, October 30, and will include the return of the spectacular 110-foot Ferris wheel taking visitors high above the Golden Mile.
The festivities are some of the biggest outside of India, with around 35,000 people attending the two main events – the Diwali lights switch-on and Diwali Day itself.
The hugely-popular Diwali lights switch-on will take place on Belgrave Road, on Sunday, October 16, with the Diwali Day celebrations taking place at Cossington Street Recreation Ground two weeks later, on Sunday, October 30.
Both events will also feature aerial firework displays high in the skies above the Golden Mile.
For the first time this year, the Diwali lights switch-on event will also feature two breath-taking new displays - Ocean Of Light will include an evocative outdoor installation featuring thousands of lights suspended in space, and Colours of Radiance, will see a dazzling light show using LED umbrellas to create moving rangoli patterns.
Other attractions across the three-week festival include a new exhibition at New Walk Museum, a Mela Bazaar and a family day at the Curve Theatre.
- Diwali Wheel of Light: Belgrave Road, Friday, October 14 – Sunday, November 6
- Six Thousand Lights: Story of Diwali in Leicester: New Walk Museum, Saturday, October 15 – Sunday, November 27
- Diwali Switch On: Belgrave Road, and featuring the Diwali Village on Cossington Street Recreation Ground, Sunday, October 16
- Diwali Mela Bazaar: City centre, Saturday, October 22
- Diwali family day: Curve, Saturday, October 22
- Amit and Sumit Kumar: De Montfort Hall, Sunday, October 23
- Diwali Day: Belgrave Road, and featuring the Diwali Village on Cossington Street Recreation Ground, Sunday, October 30
Leicester assistant city mayor for culture, leisure and sport, Cllr Piara Singh Clair, said: “Diwali is one of the most popular events in the city’s calendar, but for the first time this year we’ll be seeing stunning new displays for the switch-on festivities.
“The Ocean of Light and Colours of Radiance displays are simply breath-taking, and really lift the whole Diwali celebrations up to another level. The Diwali Village at Cossington Street Recreation Ground will also give visitors the chance to enjoy funfair rides, food and traditional craft stalls, as well as art installations and performances.
“We’ll also see the return of the Ferris wheel on the Golden Mile, which was a big attraction last year, and the two-week programme of Diwali events across the city really will give everyone a chance to get involved in this most colourful and vibrant of celebrations.”
Full details about all events are available at www.visitleicester.info/diwali