Skip to content

More city children than ever get place at their preferred school

Published on Tuesday, April 18, 2017

THOUSANDS of children across Leicester will be offered places at a primary school today – with more children than ever who applied on-time being offered a place at one of their preferred schools.

April 18 is National Offer Day, when children across the country learn which primary school they will attend for the 2017/18 academic year.

In Leicester, 4,552 applications were received on time.  Of those, 4,057 (89.1%) received their first preference, 265 (5.8%) their second preference and 52 (1.1%) their third preference.

Compared to last year, 50 more families secured a place at their first choice of school.  In total 96% of applicants were offered a place at one of their three choices, with the remaining 4% offered alternative places.

Every applicant who applied on time was offered a school place. Assistant city mayor for children, young people and schools Cllr Sarah Russell said: “I am pleased that thanks to the investment the city council has made in increasing primary school places we are now able to offer more children their preferred schools than ever before.”

85% of the 178 families who weren’t offered a place at one of their preferred schools had only chosen one or two schools, rather than naming the three preferences everyone is entitled to.

Cllr Russell said: “Putting down only one school on the application form doesn’t increase your chances of getting in there – it just increases your chances of disappointment. We strongly recommend that all families visit their local schools and then identify all three preferences on the form.”

The application process for school places is now entirely online, meaning parents can view their results on offer day, rather than having to wait for a letter to be posted out to them. Applicants will be able to see their offers from midnight on 18th April.