Take a spin on the Wheel of Light this winter
Published on Wednesday, November 14, 2018
LEICESTER’S spectacular Wheel of Light will be back in Jubilee Square this weekend as the city starts counting down to Christmas.
Work to assemble the 110-ft ferris wheel is now well under way, with the popular attraction due to open to the public at 12 noon on Friday (16 November).
Each of the wheel’s 24 gondolas can seat up to six people, with one gondola specially adapted to allow wheelchair access.
Tickets for a bird’s eye view of the city cost £5 for adults, while a family ticket – for two adults and two children, or one adult and three children – is available for £15.
Children under 1.4m in height, students and senior citizens can enjoy the experience for £4.
Leicester’s Wheel of Light will be open from 12 noon every day – except Christmas Day and New Year’s Day – until 7 January.
From 6 December, it will be joined in Jubilee Square by Leicester’s real ice rink – which this year measures a whopping 40m x 17m.
Tickets for the ice rink can be booked in advance at the Visit Leicester shop on Gallowtree Gate or at christmasinleicester.co.uk/buy-tickets/
Full details of all the events taking place in Leicester this Christmas will be in a free guide – available from tomorrow (15th) – and at christmasinleicester.co.uk
Christmas in Leicester 2018
- From 16 November: The Wheel of Light. Jubilee Square
Enjoy a bird’s eye view of Leicester’s Christmas lights from our 110-ft ferris wheel. From 12 noon daily (closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day) until 7 January. 12 noon-8pm Mon-Thurs; 12 noon-10pm Fri-Sun.
- 22 November: Christmas Lights Switch-On. Sponsored by Octopus Energy. Humberstone Gate
A packed evening of events, with live music, entertainment and special guests, including ITV News Central weather presenter Des Coleman and star of Peter Pan, Sam Bailey. 5pm-8pm (lights switch-on at 6.20pm)
- 22 November: Christmas Canteen. New Market Square
Award-winning street food with a festive flavour – and live entertainment! From 12 noon until 10.30pm
- From 22 November: Traditional nativity scene and the adventures of Alice in Wonderland. Town Hall Square
See the story of Christmas and an animated tableau scene under the festive lights in Leicester’s historic Town Hall Square.
- 22 November: Christmas at Highcross
Look out for dancing snowflakes, Russian princesses, giant swans, a winter dragon and an animatronic reindeer in St Peter's Square and inside Highcross from 5pm-9pm.
- From 23 November: Funfair. Humberstone Gate
Family-friendly fairground rides in the heart of the city centre until 6 January
- From 6 December: Christmas Ice Rink. Jubilee Square
Skate on our spectacular real ice rink, whatever the weather! Tickets from christmasinleicester.co.uk/buy-tickets/ and Visit Leicester on Gallowtree Gate. From 11am daily (closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day) until 6 January
- From 8 December: Santa in the Square. New Market Square
Visit Santa in his snow-covered grotto, every day until 23 December. Free admission – and free small gift for every child. Monday-Friday: 1pm-6pm; Saturday: 10am-6pm; Sunday: 11am-4pm
- From 13 December: Christmas in the Gardens. Cathedral Gardens
Add your own face to LightWeight – a unique interactive illuminated sphere – or just soak up the festive atmosphere in the beautifully lit gardens. Brought to you by BID Leicester and St Martins House every day until 22 December. Daily from 5pm – 10pm
- 16 December: Art at Christmas. Leicester Market
Find the perfect original gift created by local artists at our special Christmas market. 11am-4pm
- Now open: The Jägerhaus. St Peter’s Square, Highcross
Enjoy the finest festive food and drink at Leicester’s German-themed outside bar. Open daily from 10am-9pm until 24 December
Christmas shows in Leicester include:
- 6 December – 13 January: White Christmas. Curve
- 8-10 December: High Spirits! The Guildhall
- 13 December – 6 January: Treasure Island. Leicester Haymarket Theatre
- 14 December – 6 January: Mother Goose. Little Theatre
- 15 December – 6 January: Peter Pan. De Montfort Hall
- 22 December – Cinderella. Y Theatre