Your at-a-glance guide to the Christmas lights switch-on
Published on Thursday, November 22, 2018
THERE'S lots going on in Leicester tonight (Thursday), so here's a handy guide to the city's Christmas lights switch-on.
EVENTS IN LEICESTER CITY CENTRE: THURSDAY 22 NOVEMBER
• Christmas Canteen. New Market Square
Award-winning street food with a festive flavour – and live entertainment!
From 12 noon until 10.30pm
• Christmas Lights Switch-On. Humberstone Gate: 5pm-8pm (lights switch-on at 6.20pm)
A packed evening of events, with live music, entertainment and special guests, including ITV News Central presenter Matt Teale and star of Peter Pan, Sam Bailey. Music from the Simpletones, the Platforms and Nikki Pope, a performance by dance group Studio 79 and two classic Christmas songs from Sam Bailey.
• Festive street entertainers. City centre locations: 5pm-8pm
Look out for the Winter Fairy, some crazy Winter Wonderland Birds and the colourful Light Belles
• Traditional nativity scene and Alice in Wonderland. Town Hall Square
See the story of Christmas and an animated tableau scene under the festive lights in Leicester’s historic Town Hall Square, with carols and a brass band.
• Christmas at Highcross
Look out for dancing snowflakes, Russian princesses, giant swans, a winter dragon and an animatronic reindeer in St Peter's Square and inside Highcross from 5pm-9pm
• The Wheel of Light. Jubilee Square
Enjoy a bird’s eye view of Leicester’s Christmas lights from our 110-ft ferris wheel.
From 12 noon daily (closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day) until 7 January
12 noon-8pm Mon-Thurs; 12 noon-10pm Fri-Sun.
• Rudolph and Father Christmas: city centre
Say hello to Rudolph and his friends from Leicestershire Fire and Rescue
• Christmas gift ideas at Visit Leicester: Book your tickets for Leicester’s real ice rink (in Jubilee Square from 6 December). Choose from a wide range of Leicester-themed gifts, including gorgeous hand-painted baubles and Christmas cards.
Open until 8pm on Thursday 22 November
OTHER CHRISTMAS EVENTS IN LEICESTER
• From 23 November: Funfair. Humberstone Gate
Family-friendly fairground rides in the heart of the city centre until 6 January
• From 6 December: Christmas Ice Rink. Jubilee Square
Skate on our spectacular real ice rink, whatever the weather!
Tickets from christmasinleicester.co.uk, Visit Leicester on Gallowtree Gate and the Jubilee Square box office.
From 11am daily (closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day) until 6 January
• From 8 December: Santa in the Square. New Market Square
Visit Santa in his snow-covered grotto, every day until 23 December. Free admission – and free small gift for every child.
Monday-Friday: 1pm-6pm; Saturday: 10am-6pm; Sunday: 11am-4pm
• From 13 December: Christmas in the Gardens. Cathedral Gardens
Add your own face to LightWeight – a unique interactive illuminated sphere – or just soak up the festive atmosphere in the beautifully lit gardens. Brought to you by BID Leicester and St Martins House every day until 22 December.
Daily from 5pm – 10pm
• 16 December: Art at Christmas. Leicester Market
Find the perfect original gift created by local artists at our special Christmas market
• Now open: The Jägerhaus. St Peter’s Square, Highcross
Enjoy the finest festive food and drink at Leicester’s German-themed outside bar.
Open daily from 10am-9pm until 24 December
Christmas shows in Leicester include:
• 6 December – 13 January: White Christmas. Curve
• 8-10 December: High Spirits! The Guildhall
• 13 December – 6 January: Treasure Island. Leicester Haymarket Theatre
• 14 December – 6 January: Mother Goose. Little Theatre
• 15 December – 6 January: Peter Pan. De Montfort Hall
• 22 December – Cinderella. Y Theatre