Family activities in Leicester this Easter
Published on Monday, April 8, 2019
THERE’S lots going on in Leicester this April to keep kids of all ages busy during the Easter break.
The funfair’s back in Abbey Park from Friday 12 April – and from Monday 15 April, the city council’s sports and leisure facilities will be running a range of activities for children and young people.
There are swimming lessons and splash sessions for toddlers and families, while older children can have fun at a basketball camp at Evington leisure centre or try out their skills on the climbing wall at Leicester Leys.
Youngsters can make the most of the spring sunshine at Humberstone Heights golf course, where there are some special offers for the Easter holidays (12-28 April). For just £2.50, under 16s can enjoy a round of footgolf or a game of pitch and putt, plus a session on the driving range and on the putting green.
More information about Easter activities at Leicester’s leisure centres is available at leicester.gov.uk/sport
Spring has also arrived at the city’s museums, with lots of low-cost activities that children will enjoy.
On Monday 15 April, youngsters can create their very own Easter bonnet at Newarke Houses Museum. The fun runs from 11am-3pm, with storytelling, an Easter trail, and prizes for the best bonnet. A small charge of £3 will be made for activities.
Over at the Guildhall on Tuesday (16 April), Polkadot Pottery will provide pottery-painting fun for all ages. Choose a sheep, a bunny egg cup or an Easter chick, paint it, and then collect it when it’s been glazed and fired in the kiln. The pottery painting activity costs £10. Please call the Guildhall on 0116 253 2569 for more information.
From Tuesday 16 until Thurs 18 April, artist Danielle Vaughan will be leading Easter craft sessions at New Walk Museum. Aimed at those aged 10-16, the sessions will run from 1pm-4pm and help those taking part to make some beautiful Easter-themed pictures.
Belgrave Hall & Gardens will be welcoming new born lambs, miniature Shetland ponies and – for the first time – alpacas on Wednesday (17 April) for its Easter Animals Fun Day. Enjoy a day in the beautiful gardens, with face painting, Easter trails and lots of craft activities from 11am for just £3.50 per child. Free parking is available.
On Thursday (18 April), youngsters can don their bunny ears and hop to the Guildhall for the museum’s Easter Eggstravaganza. Enjoy craft activities and face painting from 11am until 3pm. £3 charge for activities.
On Good Friday (19 April), Leicester Cathedral and contributors from across the county will stage Leicester at the Cross. The event starts in Cathedral Gardens at 10am, before processing to the city centre.
There will be free chocolate eggs – while stocks last – for those shopping at Leicester Market on Easter Saturday (20 April) – while in Orton Square, Leicester's annual St George's Festival gets under way at 12 noon.
Kids can get messy with glitter and clay at the Guildhall on Thursday (25 April).
Youngsters can bring along a plain t-shirt or a glass jar and jazz them up with sequins at the museum’s Glitter, Clay & Arty Party, which runs from 11am-3pm. £3 charge for activities.
There’s a chance to look behind the scenes at Leicester’s Abbey Pumping Station on Saturday 27 April, with a full guided tour of the areas not normally open to the public – and the opportunity to see the magnificent Gimson engines in steam.
Prior booking for Steam with the Team is required, and there’s a charge of £5 per head. Please note that the route will include spiral staircases so the tour isn’t suitable for those with mobility problems or for those aged under 12.
More ideas for activities during the Easter break can be found at visitleicester.info.
Events taking place at Leicester libraries during the holidays can be found here
Summary of some of the activities taking place in Leicester during the Easter break:
• 12-28 April Footgolf plus golf at Humberstone Heights for £2.50 (U16)
• 12-28 April Funfair in Abbey Park
• From 13 April Mods: Shaping a Generation: New Walk Museum
• 15-18 April Holiday activities at city leisure centres. Charges apply
• 15 April Brilliant bonnets: Newarke Houses Museum: 11am-3pm. £3
• 16 April Polkadot Pottery: Guildhall: Paint your own Easter pottery.
11am-3pm - £10
• 16-18 April Easter Crafts: New Walk Museum (Ages 10-16): 1pm-4pm
• 17 April Easter Animals Fun Day: Belgrave Hall & Gardens: 11am–4pm. £3.50
• 18 April Easter Eggstravaganza: Guildhall: 11am-3pm. £3.
• Good Friday (19 April) Leicester at the Cross: Cathedral Gardens - 10am
• Easter Saturday (20 April) Easter Eggs for shoppers at Leicester Market
• Easter Saturday (20 April) St George’s Festival, Orton Square
• 23-26 April Holiday activities at city leisure centres. Charges apply
• St George’s Day (23 April) Railway Day, Abbey Pumping Station: 11am-4pm
• St George’s Day (23 April) Storytelling at Leicester Market: 11am-3pm
• 25 April Glitter, Clay & Arty Party: Guildhall – 11am-3pm. £3 charge.
• 27 April Steam with the Team (NB the beam engines will be in steam): Abbey Pumping Station. Booking required - £5.