Skip to content
Archived news

Select a month and year to view archived news stories.

Search for news

Seizure of speakers and equipment following noise complaints

Published on Thursday, September 24, 2020

1 minute read

Close up image of a loudspeaker

CITY council officers have seized noise equipment from a house in Leicester after residents complained about very loud music being played during the coronavirus lockdown.

The council's noise and pollution control team confiscated the equipment from a flat at 281 East Park Road, following repeated complaints from neighbours about loud bass-heavy music from the flat.

Complaints were first made in May, when neighbours had reported unacceptable noise from amplified music and computer gaming coming from the flat, disturbing them both during the night and day.

The tenant was sent an informal advice letter in mid-May, calling for the noise to be kept at a lower level. However, the problems continued and four more noise nuisances from amplified music were witnessed between July and September.

As a result, Leicester Magistrates Court granted the council noise and pollution control team a warrant to enter the flat and remove the equipment responsible.

The seizure was carried out on September 23, with the help of Leicestershire Police. The occupant refused entry to the council officers, meaning they had to force entry.

In total they seized six items of equipment, including a subwoofer, two tower speakers, two surround speakers and a DVD player.

By law, the tenant can claim back the equipment after a month, but will have to pay the costs incurred during the seizure to do so. Further reports of noise nuisance could mean more seizures of equipment from the flat.

Leicester City Council’s noise and pollution control team manager, Robin Marston, said: “This noise nuisance started during lockdown when residents were being told to stay at home, and were unable to get away from it.

“Our officers had initially tried to deal with the problem without resorting to enforcement action, but unfortunately the tenant failed to respond and continued to make his neighbours’ lives a misery.

“As a result we had no choice but to seek permission from the courts to seize the equipment and bring this problem to an end.”